"Facilitator training is a full-on sensory experience that opens your heart."
Become an Imagine Facilitator
Volunteers must be 21 years or older and must attend our four-day 32-hour facilitator training (with course fee) offered twice yearly. Completion of training is not a guarantee you will be accepted as a facilitator. The training is followed by an individual placement interview. Placements will be made after considering schedules and the volunteer needs in the groups. After the training and if you are selected to be a facilitator, please note that a background check will be done before you begin volunteering.
The next Volunteer Facilitator Training will be in 2019. For more information, contact Imagine Program Director Mandi Zucker via email or call 908-264-3100.
“You hear about how the training is life transforming, but until you experience it you don’t really get it. It was one of the most powerful experiences of my life.”
- Board Member and Facilitator
Please carefully consider the following points before applying for the training:
- Our Volunteer Facilitator Training is for those volunteers who intend to be a support group facilitator at Imagine for at least one year.
- If you have experienced the death of a significant person in your life within the last year, we ask you to discuss this with us before applying, since this training can be an intense experience for newly bereaved persons.
- You will need to attend all 32 hours of the training.
- Before working in a group, you will need to provide references. Imagine also conducts a criminal background check on all volunteers.
- You must be able to commit to volunteering every other week for one year (we do not meet in July and August or during the 2 weeks at the end of year holiday period.) If a volunteer finds they must miss more than 3 groups they will be asked to step down and find another volunteer job at Imagine that is a better fit.
- There is a $150 fee for the training; a $25 non-refundable deposit is required with your completed application to confirm registration. Please contact us via email if this fee is a deterrent to your participation.
Volunteer Facilitator FAQs
Not necessarily. While 99% of those who take the training go on to become active volunteers, occasionally it turns out that trainees are not a good fit for our program. The training is a time for the staff and trainees to evaluate this fit. Don’t worry, training is not a *test,* but it is a great time to see if our model is one that you are comfortable with. We also do a criminal background check that needs to be cleared before you can volunteer.
Groups meet Monday and Tuesday evenings from 6:00 PM - 9:30 PM. Groups meet every other week, so if you facilitate a Tuesday evening group, you would come to Imagine every other Tuesday from 6:00 PM - 9:30 PM. Groups take approximately an eight week break between early July and early September. We also do not meet during Spring Break or the two weeks of the end of year holidays.
The groups are split into three parts: an hour long pre-meeting for volunteers and the staff Coordinator, 1.5 hour long session for the children & families, and then an hour long post-meeting for volunteers and staff.
While we understand that life happens and occasionally volunteers need to miss due to illness, vacation, work, etc. we ask that when you agree to a group time/day/location, it is one you a) can make a regular commitment to, and b) will make it a priority to attend on a consistent basis. If more than three sessions are missed in the course of a year, Imagine staff will talk with you about finding another day/time/location that works better with your schedule or finding another volunteer position at Imagine. Your consistency and attendance is critical to the effectives of the program.